Monday, July 11, 2011

Reading, Editing, and Revamping

What's playing on my streaming music: Love the Way You Lie-- Eminem ft. Rihanna.

For the better part of the last month, my house has been filled with visitors from out of town. Family and friends came from Washington State to enjoy the sun and warmth of the desert (and possibly to spend time with the most awesomeness that is me), and though I enjoyed their visits, it was hard to find time or motivation to actually get any work done. 

I've been guest-less for a few days now, and I am just now moving towards actually working. 

What have I been doing instead?

Reading.

I reread the Shelly Fredman series I mention in an earlier blog: There's No Such Thing As...and as of today I'm almost finished with the second book in the Lois Greiman series about Psychologist Christina McMullan, entitled Unplugged. 

Of course, this isn't what I should be doing. So, I've forced myself to set my Kindle down and actually spend some time editing and revamping both my YA novel Immortalis as well as my adult fiction Law of Murphy. I'm actually impressed with the changes and edits I've already made. I'm hoping to send my first few chapters of each to my new Critique partner I met through RWA's Online Chapter. 

I've also been plagued with the idea for a short story, so I've spent some time sudo-plotting that as well. I'm looking forward to getting it written. I've never been great at writing actual short stories. They always seem to take on a mind of their own and end up much longer than I originally planned, so I hope things work out this time. I'd like to publish a few shorts to start getting my name out there before I publish the first installment of Immortalis. 

Okay, enough procrastinating. Back to the main event. 

R.S.


2 comments:

  1. Ditto, ditto, cosign, ditto on the editing lol.

    I've fallen back in love with short story writing myself. They're making a nice break from the foreverness of crafting a novel. And thanks for the heads up about RWA having an online chapter - I had no idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Lois Greiman's series! Chrissy and Rivera make me laugh. :)

    ReplyDelete