Friday, August 19, 2011

On 'Kid'napping

I've often wondered about the correct term for the abduction of adults, because the term kidnapping doesn't seem right. 

They're not kids after all. They're adults.

Then again, 'adultnapping' doesn't have the same ring to it. 

This isn't something I dwell on, but it was brought back to the forefront of my mind the other night. 

The Niece and I were watching Missing on Netflix--it's based on the series of novels, 1-800-Missing, by Meg Cabot-- and in one of the episodes a girl's parents disappear. 

When the FBI is talking to the girl, she said something to the effect, "I can't believe my parents were kidnapped," and it caught me up short.

Which led to this post.

And, I'm once again wondering... 

Can adults really be kidnapped or is that term solely for abducted children?



Thoughts? 

1 comment:

  1. This made me giggle. In case you were curious: 1670s, compound of kid (n.) "child" and nap "snatch away," variant of nab; originally "stealing children to provide servants and laborers in the American colonies."

    ReplyDelete